Friday, May 29, 2009

Day 3: Schools



Today we visited two schools. There were a number of small children who were excited to have us. Once we started taking photos they began playing with us. 


The first school we visited had 327 students which 150 are young girls. They learn reading, writing, the English alphabet, math and other subjects in standard education. The administrators hope that one day they will have all of the young girls in the village enrolled.  


The cost the government pays for the students to attend school is 225 rupees per student which is about 5 dollars each. I really was surprised how cheap it was, but as well as how many still don't have an education. The school has a shortage of teachers and textbooks. 


The second school we visited  I was surprised that they were reading about Abraham Lincoln. I wonder what they would think if they were told that the US education really doesn't have a lesson plain about Indian leaders. I can't really remember studying any.
The foundation has helped better the physical appearance of the school such as fresh paint, restrooms, and they have added to the structure of the school so that the students may have a better learning environment such as a water tank.

When comparing and contrasting the education of the US urban poor 
(well at least from my personal experience) with the rural poor in India I thought of it to be funny that there is laws in the US that make children attend school and many rather not attend. However, in India their education is something their parents value the most. Two countries with poverty, but both have different values. I know from experience the issue is complex and many urban poor do care about their education, but some do not. This is also one of the reasons why I go back to my old high school to talk to students about seeking an education. The other day in the village a man asked if the states had programs that will send poor people from our country to visit their village because only rich people seem to visit. I think that is a wise decision.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the different values when it comes to education. In my house it is a very big deal because growing up my parents had to pay to go to school, and the children there really wanted to learn; so my mother always gets mad at the kids here because they have all the opportunities to get an education but they choose not to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To: Tony
    From: Amalia (David's mother)

    I want to give you congratulations from the bottom of my heart. It is noble what you are working on in India to educate the rest of us in the U.S. I talk to my daughters and sons about your journey over there and we have conversations about the documentation you make in your blog. We wish you the best of luck. Thank you for being a medium of knowledge and example for my children and for all of us in the U.S. You are in our prairs and thoughts everyday. Come back safe with many wonderful photos, memories, and stories to share.

    Be safe,

    Amalia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony, I don't know who you had for Geography or world History, but I am sure they taught and you remember, Ghandi. I'm enjoying your pictures and blog. Looks like you are having a good time. take care, Mrs. Tate

























    gOR wORLD hISTORY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, to tell you the truth I don't remember anything about India from school. I learned about Ghandi through the movie they made about him and I learned a lot about India through the countless documentaries on the discovery channel.

    ReplyDelete