Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Day 1

AIRPORT:
So today is my official first day in India!!! I still cannot believe that I am actually here! We arrived last night in India around 9pm and the place we are staying is not too far away from Delhi. When we first arrived at the airport 2 Indians started to speak to me in native tongue and once they notice I wasn't Indian they spoke to me in English. As we started to walk out the airport towards our vehicle these men started to force their assistance of pushing our luggage cart to our car (I was also asked a third time if I was Indian). I manage to push my cart halfway through, but the guy ended up taking over pushing my cart. I kept telling him, "it's OK, thanks," but he kept pushing the cart alongside me. We ended both steering the cart as well. So as we approached the car they started to ask for money from us. They asked for 20 American dollars. I had Indian money, but had no idea how much to give them. They were already ripping us off asking for 20 dollars for something they forced on us. John the other videographer ended up giving a person 100 rupees and that ended up being around 2 American dollars. I felt bad for not giving anything to the guy, but I wasn't sure what I had. I also had big bills like 500 rupees and I didn't want to be hassled even worse if they saw that. I was thinking it would be like seeing 100 dollar bills in American money. Anyways, we ended up in the car and they kept bothering us for money. Another team member Rachel gave them 5 American dollars, and they saw that she had 20 bills and they kept bothering her. Megan the photographer didn't have anything and they were telling her "yes you do." So we were hassled to the point til the door closed.

Traffic:
Now, the traffic is crazy. People force themselves into lanes and no one is polite in letting people in or out. They honk and drive real close that it seems we are going to crash. The location we are staying is near a construction zone and is guarded by security. However, before we pulled in we entered a dark alley and people were standing at the end of it in complete darkness. At that point I was like "I HAVE BEEN TAKEN" like the movie. Ha ha, lol. It was weird because the driver didn't know any English so what else was I supposed to think and before I left to India I saw that movie so it has made me all crazy about stuff like that, also my friend Jaemy told me a story about how someone flew into China thinking they were going to work, but ended being tricked. Anyways, a gated door was opened and we drove away from those people, but then there was another dark alley with people at the end, but it was fine the people were with the foundation.


The Place:
So the place we are staying at is really nice. It is also really really green.



The person on the bed is my roommate John, he is taking a nap.


We get a desk, and that door on the far right leads to the restroom.



Storage.

In the storage area, there is this window where you can see shacks and people bathing in the morning.

This is the restroom. Pretty neat.

Study area with TV.

The People:
Americans shake their head no, but in India that means like yes. So that was something new. Also, since they place we are staying is in a construction zone many of the workers who work on the sites live in little shacks. Around 8am they get up and start getting ready. They bath and shower with little amounts of water in buckets. They work during the morning and when it gets hot they go back into the shack during the hot time of day. Women are also working on these sites. They gather dirt and put it in baskets and transport it on top of their head. I am guessing they are using the dirt to make cement. I also notice a pig and many children on these sites. They women are dressed real pretty, but they are working hard. I thought of that to be different. In America many of us freak out about getting a single spot on a white shirt and here women who are dressed in colorful beautiful attire are getting dirty and working hard. It made me wonder what we value as Americans. As of now, I am studying their mannerism.

The first three pictures below are photos taken through the window that was photographed.

These are workers preparing for the morning.

One of many shacks on the site.


These are images of women gathering and pouring materials to create cement. Again, photos taken from another window in my room.


Food:
The food is real good. They serve us 3 meals a day. For breakfast we ate something like a flower tortilla with egg. It was simple and good. Lunch we ate a grilled cheese sandwich with tomatoes and cucumbers in it as well as hot tomato soup. Again simple, but real good. For dinner we ate mutton.

6 comments:

  1. I really liked the pictures of the women working in the construction site. Very interesting stuff! Can't wait to read more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your pictures are really good! I'm glad you are having a good time. About the airport thing, same thing happened to me when I went El Salvador. I didn't have any cash on me, I had given it to my mom to hold, I just a few bucks, but gave it all away, before I knew it everybody was asking me for money. When we went to eat my mom gave this kid a dollar (which is a lot over there, they only make 3-4 dollars a day max, if they're lucky) so the kid told his friends and they came and surrounded the car and stuff. ANYWAY the point of the story is I know you want to help but it can be dangerous to give money, you don't want to give the impression that you are some "rich American" because you can be followed and robbed, the hassling is the least of it. Trust me it happened to my mom.

    p.s. luckily you are not a picky eater cuz I could not have eaten one thing that you listed (haha you know me, though)

    p.s. #2 lol about being asked if you were Indian it'd probably happen to me too


    Sorry for the long ass post,
    Emely V.


    p.s. #3 I can't believe i had to create a freaking gmail account just to comment....

    ReplyDelete
  3. so what i dont understand is why you are staying in all this luxury? shouldn't you be staying in one of the shacks so that you may experience the real India? Anyway, I am still very proud of you that you got the opportunity to do this trip. I wish i were able to travel to India also to see this amazing place! I hope you will make the best use of this opportunity and I know your life will be changed after this great experience. maybe one day you may, through your work as a Journalist, help to make a difference in India and in someone's life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. since you left...im bored out of my mind =|

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Juan, this is Soumya- I'm a collegue of your mom in Chevron and I also happen to be from India. Welcome to India - it is a beautiful country with lots of different people - some really nice and some like the ones from your airport :(.
    Dont worry about giving any money to the street kids or the hasslers - they know they can get money from you- so they hassle you. Just ignore them. We feel bad about the srteet kids too, but giving money to them encourages them to be on the streets rather than go to school or something.
    Nice posts :)
    I very much look forward to your experiences in my Country. Hope you enjoy it!

    P.S. Couldnt help myself clarify this :) -you apartment is like one of the many in India which is the home of the famous "Indian middle class!". "Real India" is NOT a shack, nor is it a luxurious place like the Taj. But it is a heady mix of the two where they both co-exist side by side with amazing camaraderie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your interest!

    : )

    Can't wait to lean!

    ReplyDelete